Overview of strategic human resource management (SHRM) theory. The course focuses on the SHRM practices and their importance to business organizations. In specific, it discusses the conceptual definitions and their application to performance in business settings. Issues of manpower planning, recruitment and selection, training and development, performance management and appraisal, and compensation will be covered and investigated during the course.
Upon completion of the course, trainees will be expected to:
• Understand and Enhance learner’s knowledge and understanding about the concepts of SHRM and its practices
• Able to better analyze HR cases and problems and to develop alternative HRM solutions
• Understand and Enhance learner’s ability in applying SHRM practices to improve organization’s performance
The main topics that will be covered are:
• Human Resources Management (HRM) and Strategic HRM (SHRM) denitions, SHRM Functions, Dynamic SHRM environments and HR as strategic partner.
• Job analysis methods and job descriptions
• Strategic planning process, strategic HR planning, forecasting HR requirements & availability, HR information systems.
• Strategic Recruitment denition, external and internal environments of recruitment, recruitment process
• Selection definition, process, tests and assessment centers
• Types & methods of employment interviews
• Definition of training & development, strategic T & D and factors aecting T & D
• T & D process, objectives, methods, management development and orientation
• Career planning denition, career path & development methods
• Performance management & appraisal denition, uses and process
• Responsibility for appraisal, performance appraisal methods, problems, and characteristics of effective performance appraisal system
• Compensation denition, nancial & non-financial compensation Determinants of direct financial compensation, and company wide pay plans